Agriculture & Farming in Westmoreland County, PA
Agriculture & Farming
in Westmoreland County, PA
Westmoreland County’s agricultural heritage and vibrant natural beauty go hand in hand. Our county has great strengths not only in industry, retail, and tourism services, but also in our locally produced agricultural products and farm markets. Leading the way to preserve and promote this invaluable resource is the Westmoreland County Agricultural Land Preservation Program.
In Westmoreland County, the Agricultural Conservation Easement program has protected in perpetuity 44 farms encompassing 6,315 acres.
Westmoreland County is home to to over 40 Farmers Markets, including some of the finest local farm markets like a few of the progressive farms in Westmoreland County include:
- Schramm Farms and Orchards where three generations of the Schramm family have grown quality fruits and vegetables, as well as their famous locally grown turkeys.
- The Jamison Farm is a supplier of lambs to the nation’s top restaurants. Owners John and Sukey Jamison produce the countrys finest lamb right here in Westmoreland County.
- Sand Hill Berries is a family owned and operated small fruits farm near Mount Pleasant in Westmoreland County, specializing in red raspberries, red currants, black currants, gooseberries, yellow raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries.
- The Hopeway Dairy is one of the countys leading dairies, with 200 cows and a state-of-the-art milking facility. The Hopeway Dairy is operated by Wayne and Hope Frye and family.
- Located next to Chestnut Ridge in the Laurel Highlands, Friendship Farms provides healthy, natural, and certified organic food and agricultural products to conscientious consumers. The Costello family is equally proud of their Christmas tree production and native plant nursery, as well as their all natural bread, jam, and beef products.
- The Westmoreland County Agricultural Land Preservation Program (WCALP) was developed in 1990 to conserve and protect agricultural lands and assure that farmers in Westmoreland County have sufficient agricultural lands to provide farm products for the people of the county and the Commonwealth.
Please visit the Agricultural Marketing Service website to find an alphabetical listing of farmers markets by City.