Civic and Volunteer Organizations In Westmoreland County, PA
Civic and Volunteer Organizations
In Westmoreland County, PA
Westmoreland County is as rich in civic organizations as it is in natural resources. The spirits of volunteerism and community run strong throughout our community. A few major examples include:
- The United Way of Westmoreland County works to improve peoples lives by mobilizing the caring power of our communities. The United Way of Westmoreland County works to provide a safe, healthy and caring community where people have the opportunity to help themselves and others.
- Westmoreland Community Action helps individuals and families that need support, education, housing, or social services to improve their standard of living and become more self-sufficient.
- The mission of the YWCA of Westmoreland County is to empower women and girls and to eliminate racism. The YWCA Literacy Program Center runs a tremendously successful literacy program and yearly literacy booksale.
- To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all is the mission statement of the Greensburg YMCA. The Greensburg YMCA offers a number of self-defense, yoga, and martial arts programs.
- The website of the Westmoreland Fayette Council provides information related to the Scouting programs of the Boy Scouts of America. Here you will find information related to specific programs provided to benefit the youth of the Westmoreland and Fayette counties of Western Pennsylvania.
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of the Laurel Region was formed in 1976 to serve all of Westmoreland County and to help children reach their fullest potential through mentoring relationships.
- The Special Olympics-Lions Club International Opening Eyes Program is an ambitious three-year initiative funded by Lions Club International Foundation (LCIF). Special Olympics is an international program of year-round athletic competition for children and adults with mental retardation, and LCIF has been at the forefront of protecting sight and preventing blindness worldwide for over three decades.
- It is the mission of the Westmoreland County Commission for Women and Families (WCCWF) to foster leadership; provide awareness of existing services; promote development of resources; and advocate equal access to such resources in order to enhance the lives of women and families.
- Throughout Westmoreland County, Family Services of Western Pennyslvania provides the ParentWISE program that sponsors confidential, nonjudgmental support groups-with free child care. With this support, parents can lean on one another and learn from one another.
- American Cancer Society raises money to fight cancer with a “Relay for Life” at several locations through out Westmoreland County. Latrobe has a long history of successful fundraisers. More recently, events have been held annually in the Norwin area and the Mt. Pleasant / Scottdale Area. For more information, contact Dawn Pruett at the American Cancer Society at 1-888-227-5445.